Cityzen band radios (CB Radio) has been using as a popular safe and secure communication medium to the drivers and off-roaders since their wide adaptation in the 1970s. Nowadays, most of the organized trail ride advice their participants to use any CB radio so they can know all updates and can get aware of trail conditions, hazards, and delays.
The popularity of CB radion to the drivers and off-roaders is because of its safe and secure communication service. These radios use radio signals to transmit voice. So, in any rare place where other communication systems don’t work exactly, CB radios work well. These devices can transmit voice in any critical situations such as natural disasters, storms, and other critical situations even when other communication systems can’t work.
In this article, I will be sharing the top guides for off-roaders to choose the best CB radio for their safe communication. And also some useful tips to use a radio accurately. So, if you are an off-road driver, and you are finding some tips that can help you to choose the best CB radio for you, then you are reading the right article.
Important information about your CB radio equipment
An important thing before you choose a CB radio for you is understanding that all of the CB radios transmit signals with the same power. Most of the CB radio can transmit signals with 4 watts of FCC power. But although CB radios have lackings about transmitting power, they are so useful and important because they fit your vehicle and ensure safe communication.
Picking a CB Radio
CB radios have many uses, among them in trucks or cars is a common use. While you are picking a CB radio for use in your car, you must keep in mind that your vehicle lends to have small cabs, so you have to choose a compact-sized device that will be well fit in your car. Some common and popular CB radios for use in any car are listed below.
- Uniden 510 PRO XL: This device is one of the most popular communication devices to the off-roaders. Uniden 510 PRO XL is one of the best devices among the compact-sized devices. This device is extremely durable and it offers enough good performance at its affordable price.
- 75 Cobra WX ST: This device is also a popular device for the off-roaders. It is also one of the best compact off-roading truck CB radio devices. This device offers some advanced features including best control, a good speaker built into the microphone, etc.
These above 2 devices are of compact-sized and offer limited features. Although they are a good fit for compact vehicles, they don’t have all the advanced features as a larger CB radio device offers.
- Cobra 29: Among all the larger CB radio devices, cobra 29 is a popular and common device to the off-roaders. If you have enough place in your car to place a full-size CB radio, then this one will be the best choice.
Picking a CB Camera
The best, probably the only one limitation of any CB radio is its lower signal transmitting power. Most of the CB radios can’t transmit signals for more than one to five miles. But, using a CB antenna will help you to increase the transmitting range.
Choosing a perfect antenna is so important because an antenna is that will determine your transmitting range. Usually, the larget the antenna, the more is the transmitting range. To have the best result, choose an antenna that is mounted with 50 percent of the antenna above the roof.
There are different kinds of antennas of varieties of models and powers, but among them, two antennas are popular to off-roaders.
- The Firestik FS CB Antenna: This antenna is a popular antenna to the off-roaders. This antenna is durable and is able to transmit signals for long ranges.
- The Wilson Flex: This model is also one of the popular models for CB radio users. Wilson Flex can bend up to 180 degrees without breaking. This model is the most popular for those who drive in strong wooded areas with low clearances. This antenna is enough durable for heavy use but not accurate to transmit signals for a long distance as Firestik FS antennas do.
Mounting your CB antenna
Besides choosing a good antenna for your CB radio, choosing a good location to mount the antenna is also important. While finding a place to mount the antenna, choose one place that built with metal and is well-grounded. To transmit signals, CB antennas use the chassis of any vehicle. If you select any non-grounded mounting location, the antenna, as well as your CB radio won’t work accurately.
The popular locations to mount any CB radio antennas are:
- Hood rail
- Front and rear fenders
- Pickup truck bed rails etc.
If you already selected a good CB radio and a perfect antenna, now you are ready to install them in your car. The installation process of CB radio is quite easier. As long as you mount the antenna to a perfect place, you won’t face any problems. The simple installation process is given below.
- Mount your CB radion in your car’s cab
- Route the coax cable to the antenna
- Then connect everything accurately.
- Attach the CB radio power leads to the battery to have a better power option (Optional).
CB radio is a great way of communication for the off-roaders. This communication system is safe and secure. While you are choosing a CB radio and other equipment for you, choose according to your needs. Set up everything with the exact installation process as I discussed in this article. Hope this article will help you enough to choose and set up the best communication medium for you.